21 March 2007

Yellow Ribbon: a song.



So why d’you wear that ribbon in your hatband? -
The yellow one, it’s often made me think.’
She flexed her barmaid arms
And flashed her barmaid’s charm.
‘I noticed it when first you came in here
To buy a drink.’

I eyed the glass of beer the woman proffered
And handed her the cash to pay my way.
Then I raised it to my lips,
And took a long, slow sip,
And pondered how I could explain to her
And wondered what I’d say.

‘Well, maybe it’s a sign I’m helping cancer
Perhaps I think that yellow goes with black.
Or maybe it’s to say
Thank you, boys who’ve gone away
To fight a war from which so many of you
Won’t be coming back.’

In truth I wear the ribbon in remembrance
Of loss, regret, and fear I couldn’t face.
For it’s a badge of shame
And I bear a coward’s name.
I ran away and lost a love I never can replace.

No comments: