03 April 2007

Points from the news

Home births

The government is to give pregnant women the 'right' to choose to give birth at home. This will increase the dangers of childbirth and add to costs. Instead of one midwife keeping an eye on half a dozen women while nature takes its course, she (or he) will be sitting with her feet up drinking tea in someone's front room.

If people want this choice, let them hire a private midwife and pay for it themselves.

I see the midwive's union is in favour. I'm not surprised. More midwives will be needed, more subscriptions.
The Chancellor and pensions

OK, Gordon Brown was wrong to remove tax relief from pension funds (or whatever it was he did), but what about the other issues?

He's criticised for not taking advice. Well, it's a daft person who takes every piece of advice he's offered. If I'd done that I'd have lost at least £1,000 at the races this year already.

And I'm not sure I fully agree with 'freedom of information'. Freedom of the Press, yes. 'The public's right to know' is often, I think, sanctimonious self-justification by irresponsible newspapers. People, even those in government, have a right to privacy, to argue and disagree before making a decision, without fear of mockery.

The servicemen captured by Iran

I've just deleted what I wrote. I'll make my criticisms when they are all safely back

No comments: