12 May 2007

Real Alligator Pie


I did a little research on alligator meat the other day, for reasons which no doubt lie too deep for words within my psyche. It began, I suppose, when I discovered that ‘Pigman's' or 'Swineherd’s pie’, which I flattered myself I had invented, was in fact a well-established dish.

I know little about so-called exotic meats. I’ve never had ostrich or kangaroo, although I did once chew on a piece of biltong. I’m ashamed to say I’ve only eaten venison once and rabbit hardly ever. I may have eaten horse and dog in certain dodgy establishments but I was not aware of it. Probably my gastronomic summit is stuffed chine, a Lincolnshire delicacy unappreciated by the rest of the world.

What about Alligator Pie, I thought, and checked it on the net. And
there it was.

It seems to be a strange American pudding with unbaked pie crust, mixed with cream cheese and sour cream. Pecan nuts can be used to give the pie a vague resemblance to an alligator’s skin...

It sounds awful and I doubt it looks anything like an alligator.

On looking further I found a poem called
Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee, a Canadian poet. It’s a jolly little rhyme, the title poem of a book of children’s verse, and reminiscent of Blue Suede Shoes.

It’s also the title of a long-forgotten TV movie, also from Canada, that even IMDb knows little about.

So how would you go about making a real Alligator Pie, a dish that would belong to the family that includes Shepherd’s, Cottage, Swineherd’s and Fish?

First, as they say, catch your alligator. I would recommend delegating that task.

In terms of cholesterol and fat content, alligator is a healthier option than chicken, or so I
read.

The best cut is considered to be from the tail, which has the texture of veal and the taste of chicken, pork, rabbit, fish or frog’s legs. In other words, it tastes like alligator. Apparently you can find meat in the feet as well, rather like pig’s trotters, I guess.

The mid-section meat is darker and tougher and is usually diced for stews. It can also be minced for sausages, and therefore, I propose, for Real Alligator Pie (UK version).

Serves 6

Cooking time: 1.5 -2 hrs

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs alligator meat, coarsely minced
3 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 sticks celery, chunks
4 oz chillies, diced
1 tin tomatoes
7 fl oz chicken stock – or soup. (Make it partly with milk)
I pkt sage and onion
Herbs, etc to taste.
2 lbs mashed potato, maybe with mashed broccoli (green, you see).

Method:

Brown meat in oil; soften onions, etc; add liquid, bring to boil and simmer until meat is cooked. Thicken if necessary.

Turn in 2 inch-deep dish and spread potato over the meat. Decorate with alligator teeth if available.

Eat with chicken gravy.

This recipe can be adapted for snake meat.

Now all I need is a volunteer.

No comments: