01 September 2008

Economy drive

Monday, first of September, I began to live within my means, which means £60.50 per week, Jobseekers Allowance, rent and council tax covered.

Despite what you hear that’s plenty. After all, you’re not supposed to live on JSA – and I intend no irony here - you’re supposed to exist on it.

After all, if you don’t smoke, don’t drink; don’t go the pictures every week, topping off the evening with steak and chips and a bottle of wine; and if you don’t need certain medication only available (without prescription) from the internet, what else do you need money for?

Well, quite a lot, it appears, as I’ve discovered after listing items on my budgetary spreadsheet and in two days using up half my weekly allocation. Boring things like beans, batteries, bus fares and bleach.

This is going to be quite an adventure.

No comments: