14 October 2006

Gracie Fields, The Bismarck and other thoughts

I watch most of the political shows on TV - The Daily Politics, Andrew Marr, the late night one with Portillo and Abbott. I've been wondering over the last week or two why Jane Horrocks kept turning up as a guest, especially when her only contributions seemed to 'we should all be nice to each other' and 'politicians should be more in touch with people.' Apparently the reason is some daft new TV series about an 'ordinary' woman who becomes a political sensation. One to miss I think.

On Friday she was the guest on Desert Island Discs. She managed to alienate me pretty quickly by saying she didn't understand Shakespeare. I think she's taking this 'woman of the people' thing a bit too far. She also chose a record by Gracie Fields . (They're both good working-class Lancastrians, you see). Now Gracie Fields is one of those incredibly over-rated British 'stars' of the thirties. Did anyone actually like that screeching voice and that relentless bossiness and cheerfulness?

By coincidence the song chosen was Fred Fanackerpan and it is mentioned in John Harris' Covenant with Death, my current reading matter. A soldier is singing it just before the Somme. I believe that if I heard someone singing that song I'd happily go over the top myself.

With war in mind I visited IMDb to check on Clint Eastwood's latest movie, Flags of our Fathers, and to see what the message boards had to say. One contributor said, 'Not another WW2 film! When is someone going to make a movie about the Somme?' Perhaps I should send Mr Harris' book to Spielberg.

The cyberspace conversation continued with a discussion on CGI. I cannot say that I disapprove of CGI, because I'm sure that it has enhanced many a film I've enjoyed. But that was when I didn't realise it was being used, at least not until afterwards. I remember how obvious it was in Titanic, and as it happens was telling a friend this yesterday. It came up because he had just watched Sink the Bismarck, where the whole thing was done in a huge studio tank with big model ships. It fools me.

Before leaving IMDb I noticed yet another discussion on the political slant of films and the leanings of directors. Now a lot of these messages are American and their take on things is quite interesting. Clint Eastwood, for example, is considered to be a 'leftie', as is Spielberg. I thought they were both very successful capitalists, but then Clint is very libertarian, at least where personal morality is concerned. And Steve - well, he's Jewish, isn't he?

I wonder if Jane Horrocks ever goes on that site. The level of political debate is about right for her.


We all dream of being a child again, even the worst of us. Perhaps the worst most of all.

Don Jose

No comments: