08 January 2007

My site meter

I thought it would be interesting to set up a site meter on my blogs, of which I have several. I suppose it's my old librarian training which makes me want to set up 'discrete' categories of blog.

It wasn't easy. I thought I had to copy a whole screed of Java or HTML and type it onto my layout. What is this Java, etc? Why do I have to keep keying in letters to get paragraph breaks? Anyway, I managed to get some instructions copied and pasted. Except that I managed to get two blogs mixed up.

Is it just me, or do other people have trouble with these 'so simple' procedures for signing up to services? For example, I wanted to set up a team blog recently. The instructions seemed straightforward and everyone followed them and wondered why it didn't work. Then by at the end you discovered 'By the way, you will need to have set up a blog of your own before you can join this team.'
Now, of course, I'm getting neurotic about who is reading me and where they come from. It's very hurtful when somebody stays for '0 seconds'.

At first I thought someone in Cambridge, UK, was viewing my pages a lot, until I realised that it was me, because I'd neglected to instruct the meter to ignore visits from my own site and more than that I'd got the latitude and longitude for Lincoln wrong. Well, I got that sorted and now I find I have to ignore my own site every time I view my own blog. Is it worth it, I ask myself.

But I must stop moaning. After all, I've had one visitor from Bangalore, another from South Korea, others from the USA and Canada.

Maybe if I keep banging on about Mma Ramotswe, somebody from Botswana will find me.

I drank some bush tea the other day. It tasted terrible.

No comments: