09 January 2007

Slaid Cleaves

I've always liked Country music, but I've always been choosy. Probably because I'm always hearing these jibes about dead dogs and other miseries.

So, I like Waylon and Willie, Hank and Jimmy, Bill Monroe, Box Car and Doc Watson, and Cajun stuff, and that old bloke I heard in Oh, Brother, Where art Thou?

And don't you think that only Dolly can sing I will always love you? Whitney Houston, please shut that huge mouth.

That's why I always listen to Bob Harris on a Thursday night. He seems to appreciate the same sort of music. And last week, he introduced me to Slaid Cleaves and Slaid's song New Year's Day. It is fantastic. I've listened to it 50 times trying to copy out the words. I shall buy the album, I shall re-string my guitar, I shall have it played at my funeral.

You can sample it here.

No comments: